Two people seriously injured in fire pit explosion

A 65-year-old man and his 38-year-old son suffered serious injuries from a homemade fire pit that exploded at their home Sunday night, police said.

Fire and police units responded to the 1600 block of JM Pearce Road in Monkton about 9 p.m. The two men were transported by the Maryland State Police helicopter to the University of Maryland R Adams Cowley Center.

According to the county police department’s hazardous devices team, the drum of a washing machine was used as the firepit, which four family members were sitting around when it exploded.

The investigation shows an unknown accelerant was used and there was no foul play, authorities said.

The wife of the younger man, 33, and their 2-year-old daughter had non-life-threatening injuries and were transported by ground to the University of Maryland Medical Center, police said.

–Erin Tyszko

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*